Using his Post 9/11 military benefits, Al McNeil earned a dual Bachelor of Science degrees in Criminal Justice Business Administration and Religion from Liberty University. Highlights of his training and professional career:
- 2016 National Sheriff Institute graduate
- 2013 B.S. in Criminal Justice Business Administration
- 2012 B.S. in Religion
- 2009 Nevada Peace Officers’ Standards and Training Advanced Certificate
- 2009 Lyon County Sheriff’s Office Deputy of the year awardee
- 2007 Nevada Peace Officers’ Standards and Training Intermediate Certificate
- 2003 P.O.S.T. academy “Top gun” recipient
- 2003 Nevada State Peace Officer’s Standards and Training Academy (Honor graduate)
- 2000 Marine Corp Nonresident Amphibious Warfare School graduate
- 1997 Staff Noncommissioned Officers Academy Advanced Leadership Course 3-97 (Honor graduate)
- 1991 Staff Noncommissioned Officers Leadership Career Course 2-91 (Honor graduate)
Total Devotion to Public Safety
Al McNeil began his career at with the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office working in the jail for two years. Jail work taught him about the issues of addiction and behavioral health that the majority of incarcerated people face. During the next ten years, his assignments that included patrol, S.W.A.T. gang unit, sex offender task force, street enforcement team, field training officer, and detectives.
Sheriff McNeil understands the need for intelligence products to support and develop planning. With each program implemented, he is constantly asking what the return on investment for our community is because each program costs the taxpayers. With a hard-earned reputation as a no-nonsense problem solver, he has led the Sheriff’s Office with effective operational planning and innovations that cut Lyon County’s violent crime rate in half within three years.